Symphonic Wind Band Composition Competition
The Lesbian & Gay Big Apple Corps Symphonic Band is pleased to announce its 2020 Composition Competition!
- The competition is open to Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) composers who live in the United States and its territories. We encourage LGBTQ+ composers and composers local to New York City to apply.
- Only one work per composer will be considered.
- Preference will be given to unperformed works written in 2020.
- Works must be for full Symphonic Wind Band (see instrumentation below). Works with soloists, either instrumental or vocal, are not eligible. Works with electronics or chorus are not eligible.
With so much uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, we cannot guarantee a live concert date, but the goal is to select one 8-10 minute work, to be performed at our April 2021 concert at Symphony Space. We will also select one 3-minute work for a virtual recording in November 2020.
Option 1: A 3-minute work to be considered for a virtual performance in November.
Option 2: An 8-10 minute work to be considered for a live concert in April.
- Piccolo, Flute 1/2, Oboe 1/2, Bassoon 1/2;
- E♭ Clarinet, B♭ Clarinet 1/2/3, E♭ Alto Clarinet (optional), B♭ Bass Clarinet, B♭ Contrabass Clarinet (optional);
- B♭ Soprano Saxophone (optional), E♭ Alto Saxophone 1/2, B♭ Tenor Saxophone, E♭ Baritone Saxophone;
- B♭ Trumpet 1/2/3, F Horn 1/2/3/4, Trombone 1/2/3, Euphonium, Tuba;
- String Bass;
- Percussion – up to 14 players, including piano and mallets
Preference will be given to compositions that utilize a large percussion section.
Percussion equipment availability may be limited in the Fall, so we may request changes to percussion writing for the work considered for the virtual performance.
- Submit full score in PDF format.
- Submit recording (MIDI renditions accepted) in MP3 format.
- Please use a pseudonym. Scores and recordings should be anonymous, with no identifying information other than “Pseudonym.” Please label as follows: [Pseudonym_score] & [Pseudonym_recording]
- Please submit a bio labeled: [LGBAC Composition Competition_bio_“your full name”].
- Also submit a headshot labeled: [LGBAC Composition Competition_headshot_“your full name”].
Submissions should be sent to: email@example.com
Only e-mail submissions will be accepted. Please do not send hard copies. A panel made up of the Music Director, Assistant Conductor, and the Artistic Production Committee will select the winners.
- 3 minute work: $400
- 8-10 minute work: $1000
There is no fee to enter.
- 3 minute work – October 1, 2020
- 8-10 minute work – November 15, 2020
Adjustments/edits may be requested of winning compositions to fit our ensemble’s unique set-up. If you have questions, please feel free to contact Henco Espag, the Music Director of the Symphonic Band at firstname.lastname@example.org.